Beginners Backpack on Baranduda Range
This is a great opportuity to try out a pack carry walk for beginner backpackers. If you havent got the necessary gear (see recommendations below) dont rush out and buy it - Im sure we can make borrowing arrangements. Meet at 4 Jamison Drive Baranduda at 5pm on the Friday evening or alternatively at Margaret Court Drive at 5-30pm
It should be delightful in the beautiful White Box - Wallaby Grassy woodland environment we will camp in with evening views north over Albury Wodonga
Not much climbing involved certainly less than 100m of elevation gain
There will be water available from a stream near the campsite but like any fresh water flow in the mountains its quality cannot be guranteed so byo or be prepared to treat, filter or boil
We will almost certainly be in the fire restriction period so no open fire allowed and a gas stove required for cooking The campsite is a saddle less than about 1.5 hours from the start and easily got to in the dark - so if you cant make it to the 5pm start time there is a second option for meeting up at Margaret Court drive Baranduda at 5-30pm - where we will just sit tight and wait till you get here - cant have you walking around the mountain on your own!
On the Saturday morning for the adventurous we may explore the Casuarina Falls further up the mountain without packs - this is rough off track walking less than a km return to campsite but challenging nonetheless and optional. You may prefer to laze around the campsite!
There is ample opportunity to vary this schedule or to join the group at a time that might be more convenient to you - talk to Tony if this is the case.
What to bring
Suitable for most ages and fitness levels. Some bushwalking experience recommended. Track may have short steep hill sections, a rough surface and many steps.
Overnight Event Packing list
Current Medical Information Form found on the website here
- Tent (sharing sections of the tent is an option)
- Sleeping Bag
- Bag Liner
- Bed Clothing
- Thermals - top and bottom
- Second layer - top and bottom
- Warm Gloves beanie and dry socks
- Keep clothing in a water tight bag - zip lock - dry bags etc..
- Wet Weather / Cold
- Rain jacket
- Down jacket
- Fleece jacket
- Warm Gloves and Water Proof Over Glove plus a Benie or suitable walk hat.
- Tooth Brush and paste
- Any medication ( please inform leader if necessary Allergies etc)
- Personal first aid
- Water to drink and prepare meal ( some locations and walks have water on site or en route )
- Leader should inform the group re water supply
- Tablets for water ( be safe rather than get a bug ) ( water purification tablets )
- Toilet paper and trowl to dig appropiate hole.
- Dehydrated food for weight considerations
- 3 Meals , plus snacks. per day.
- Stove (another item that can be shared)
- Plate and cuttlery
- Cup for warm drink your choice
- Extra Items
Fully charged and credit loaded up phone
The leader must take a rescue beacon
- The club has 1 Personal Locator Beacon and 1 emergency SPOT device and 3 First Aid Kits