An overnight back pack to Mt Buffalo's beautiful Mt McLeod and enjoy sunset and or sunrise at the trig point which is a short walk from the campsite. Meeting location is the Mt McLeod trail head on Reservoir Road found by taking the unsealed road behind the Rangers office at 8 am
Most of the walk is on a 4WD track but there are two exceptions. About 300m from the start (at the track junction) there is a foot track to the right that is clearly signposted. It is advisable to take this track because it avoids a climb and a descent of about 140m, and the track is more pleasant walking through open forest.
The foot track trends gently downhill for a bit over a kilometre before rejoining the 4WD track. The 4WD track is gently undulating but gradually gains about 100 m of altitude before it reaches the Mt McLeod walk-in camping area, which is in a nice open grassy area. There is a toilet just past the camp-site.
Up to this point the walk has been through a variety of open forest. From the camping ground there is a climb of about 150m to the trig on Mt McLeod and towards the end it involves rock scrambling. Walkers will need boots with a good grip and at least some tolerance for looking down steep slopes. However, there are no surprises and walkers can simply go as far as they feel comfortable.
We have booked sites for 10 participants and have received 10 registrations as at dec 13 2022 but please don't let that stop you registering your wish to do this walk as there is a waiting list setup for this event and people may withdraw and/or we may run the event again if sufficient interest.
This is a Grade 3 walk with a grade 4 section for the climb to the summit of Mt McLeod from the campground. In total an approximate distance of 16km return. For further information give me a call 0417687842
Suitable for most ages and fitness levels. Some bushwalking experience recommended. Track may have short steep hill sections, a rough surface and many steps.
Bushwalking experience recommended. Tracks may be long, rough and very steep. Directional signage may be limited.
Overnight Event Packing list
Current Medical Information Form LOGIN FIRST and then it can be FOUND ON THE WEBSITE HERE
- Tent (sharing sections of the tent is an option)
- Sleeping Bag
- Bag Liner
- Bed Clothing
- Thermals - top and bottom
- Second layer - top and bottom
- Warm Gloves beanie and dry socks
- Keep clothing in a water tight bag - zip lock - dry bags etc..
- Wet Weather / Cold
- Rain jacket
- Down jacket
- Fleece jacket
- Warm Gloves and Water Proof Over Glove plus a Benie or suitable walk hat.
- Tooth Brush and paste
- Any medication ( please inform leader if necessary Allergies etc)
- Personal first aid
- Water to drink and prepare meal ( some locations and walks have water on site or en route )
- Leader should inform the group re water supply
- Tablets for water ( be safe rather than get a bug ) ( water purification tablets )
- Toilet paper and trowl to dig appropiate hole.
- Dehydrated food for weight considerations
- 3 Meals , plus snacks. per day.
- Stove (another item that can be shared)
- Plate and cuttlery
- Cup for warm drink your choice
- EXTRA ITEMS
Fully charged and credit loaded up phone
THE LEADER MUST TAKE A RESCUE BEACON
- The club has 1 Personal Locator Beacon and 1 emergency SPOT device and 3 First Aid Kits
Note: There is a cost associated with camping at Mt McLeod - Carmen has booked and paid for up to 10 participants - the cost of approximately $40 will be shared by participants - however you may still register a waiting list is now available