The Twins Grade 4 overnight backpack and/or Tabletop Grade 3 day walk
A repeat of two walks I ran 6-8 years ago.
The Twins is/are an excellent steep little mountain on the Divide about 6km West of Mt St Bernard on the Great Alpine Rd. Wonderful views all round as far as Mt Buller and Mt Howitt. We'll camp just about on the summit at the tree-line for the first night. The walk in and back is 90% jeep track, down and up, and 10% steep walking track. Water for the overnight camp will need to be carried from a spring on the jeep track. If the weather is doubtful we'll camp back along the jeep track and walk to the summit unencumbered. Total distance 12km return. Maximum 8 walkers.
If weather permits, we'll drive on over Hotham after The Twins walk on the 8th and camp at JB Plain, near Dinner Plain. On the 9th we'll do a day walk out to Tabletop, another prominent peak with awesome views looking down into the Dargo River valley and the gold ghost town of Mayford, back to the cars and either camp another night or head home.. Distannce 11km return. More detail at https://www.alltrails.com/trail/australia/victoria/mount-tabletop
Subscribe to this event
People can sign on for both the overnight pack carry and the base camp at JB Plainwalks or just one or the other.
Please indicate your intentions by responding in last message box when registering for this event
We will meet at the far side of Bright (Tawonga turnoff about 4ks beyond Bright) at 10am on the 7th. (2+ hours from A-Wod) or at JB Plain hut on january 8th if just coming for the day walk to mt tabletop
This is a trip in an Alpine area with parts above the treeline - people need to be prepared accordingly.
Bushwalking experience recommended. Tracks may be long, rough and very steep. Directional signage may be limited.
Overnight Event Packing list
Current Medical Information Form LOGIN FIRST and then it can be FOUND ON THE WEBSITE HERE
- Tent (sharing sections of the tent is an option)
- Sleeping Bag
- Bag Liner
- Bed Clothing
- Thermals - top and bottom
- Second layer - top and bottom
- Warm Gloves beanie and dry socks
- Keep clothing in a water tight bag - zip lock - dry bags etc..
- Wet Weather / Cold
- Rain jacket
- Down jacket
- Fleece jacket
- Warm Gloves and Water Proof Over Glove plus a Benie or suitable walk hat.
- Tooth Brush and paste
- Any medication ( please inform leader if necessary Allergies etc)
- Personal first aid
- Water to drink and prepare meal ( some locations and walks have water on site or en route )
- Leader should inform the group re water supply
- Tablets for water ( be safe rather than get a bug ) ( water purification tablets )
- Toilet paper and trowl to dig appropiate hole.
- Dehydrated food for weight considerations
- 3 Meals , plus snacks. per day.
- Stove (another item that can be shared)
- Plate and cuttlery
- Cup for warm drink your choice
- EXTRA ITEMS
Fully charged and credit loaded up phone
THE LEADER MUST TAKE A RESCUE BEACON
- The club has 1 Personal Locator Beacon and 1 emergency SPOT device and 3 First Aid Kits